D Visa

D crewmember visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons working on board sea vessels or international airlines in the U.S., providing services required for normal operation and intending to depart the U.S. on the same vessel or any other vessel within 29 days.  Crewmembers eligible for D visas include:

1. Pilot or flight attendant on a commercial airplane;

2. Captain, engineer, or deckhand on a sea vessel;

3. Lifeguard, cook, waiter, beautician, or other service staff on a cruise ship; and

4. Trainee on board a training vessel.

If you travel to the U.S. to join the vessel you will work on, you ALSO NEED a C-1 transit visa (often, these two visas are issued as a combination C-1/D visa).