R-1 Visa

An R-1 visa enables you to come to the U.S. to work full-time or part-time (at least 20 hours per week) employed by a U.S. non-profit tax-exempt religious organization as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation.


Requirements for R-1

1. The employer must have either:

----- A valid IRS determination letter stating that the employer is a 501(c)(3) organization; or

----- A valid IRS determination letter stating that the denomination (which the employer is affiliated with) is a 501(c)(3) organization, AND the denomination's letter confirming the employer's affiliation/membership.

2. The employer must be capable of compensating the religious worker (salaried or non-salaried).  There are limited exceptions where the religious worker will be allowed to be self-supporting.

3. The religious worker must have been a member of the same religious denomination as the U.S. employer for at least 2 years immediately before the filing of the I-129 petition.

4. The religious worker must be coming to the U.S. to work as a minister, in a religious voaction, or in a religious occupation.


How to apply

1. First, the U.S. employer has to file a Form I-129, Petition for Non-immigrant Worker, along with proper Supplements and supporting documents, with USCIS.

2. Once the I-129 petition is approved, the employee can apply for an R-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.



Dependents (spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age) of R-1 workers are entitled to R-2 visas/status.  R-2 dependents may study, but cannot engage in employment in the U.S.


Period of Stay

USCIS may grant R-1 status for an initial period of admission for up to 30 months.  Subsequent extensions may be granted for up to an additional 30 months.  An R-1 worker’s total period of stay in the U.S. cannot exceed 5 years in total.  Only time an R-1 worker physically stays in the U.S. in R-1 status counts towards the 5-year limit.

Board Certified 2014 Member Avvo
The Dallas, Texas, immigration law firm Mr Jack KIM provides immigration legal services to the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Arlington, Irving, Plano, Garland, Mesquite, McKinney, San Antonio, Houston, Denton, Richardson, Allen, Frisco, Lewisville and Flower Mound, and the counties of Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Kaufman and Henderson, Texas; TX, North Texas, DFW. Because U.S. immigration laws are federal in scope, our immigration attorneys are able to represent individuals and companies in all 50 states of the United States of America.