M-1 Visa

M-1 visas offer an opportunity for students to receive education and training at a vocational or other non-academic institution (other than a language training program) that has been approved and certified by the Department of Homeland Security under the SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program).  The list of SEVP-approved institutions can be found at: http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search.  These institutions are usually community/junior colleges that offer vocational/technical training, or vocational high schools.

When you are eligible for an M-1 visa, your dependent family members

---spouse and children (under 21 and unmarried)

---are eligible for M-2 visas.  In order to apply for M-1/M-2 visas, each of you and your dependents needs a Form I-20M-N issued by the institution that has accepted you.

Other than the above, most requirements and rules for an F-1 visa are applicable to an M-1 visa as well.  Please see "F-1 Visa" for details.

Board Certified 2014 Member Avvo
The Dallas, Texas, immigration law firm Mr Jack KIM provides immigration legal services to the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Arlington, Irving, Plano, Garland, Mesquite, McKinney, San Antonio, Houston, Denton, Richardson, Allen, Frisco, Lewisville and Flower Mound, and the counties of Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Kaufman and Henderson, Texas; TX, North Texas, DFW. Because U.S. immigration laws are federal in scope, our immigration attorneys are able to represent individuals and companies in all 50 states of the United States of America.