V Visa for LPR's Spouse/Children

If you are a permanent resident and filed a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your spouse, child, or step-child, it may take a while before their priority date becomes current.  If you filed the I-130 petition before a certain date and if your family member has been waiting for a certain period of time, your family member may be eligible for a V visa that would allow him/her to come to the U.S. and live with you while waiting for his/her priority date to become current.



1. You must have filed a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your family member (spouse, child, or step-child) on or before December 21, 2000.  This includes children (unmarried and under 21) listed on the petition.

2. The I-130 petition must have been pending for at least 3 years; or, if the petition has been approved, the family member must have been waiting at least 3 years for their priority date to become current.


How to apply

1. If your family member is already in the U.S., s/he has to file a Form I-539, Application to Change Nonimmigrant Status, with USCIS so that they obtain V status.

2. If your family member is outside the U.S., s/he has to apply for a V visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

Board Certified 2014 Member Avvo
The Dallas, Texas, immigration law firm Mr Jack KIM provides immigration legal services to the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Arlington, Irving, Plano, Garland, Mesquite, McKinney, San Antonio, Houston, Denton, Richardson, Allen, Frisco, Lewisville and Flower Mound, and the counties of Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Kaufman and Henderson, Texas; TX, North Texas, DFW. Because U.S. immigration laws are federal in scope, our immigration attorneys are able to represent individuals and companies in all 50 states of the United States of America.