Generally, in order for a foreign worker to apply for a work visa so that s/he come to the U.S. and work on a temporary basis, his/her U.S. employer must first submit Form I-129, Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker, to USCIS; this I-129 petition has to be approved by USCIS before the foreign worker can apply for a work visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate. Depending on the type of visa, the U.S. employer may have to submit an LCA (Labor Condition Application) to the Department of Labor prior to filing the I-129 petition.  Also, different work visas have different requirements as to which Supplement Form and what evidence must be submitted along with the I-129 petition.  Please select a work visa from the menu on the left for detailed description of the process.


Once the I-129 petition is approved by USCIS, the foreign worker can apply for the work visa at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.  The approval of the I-129 petition does not guarantee that the visa will be issued by the Embassy/Consulate; the visa applicant (foreign worker) must establish that s/he does not have any inadmissibility ground---i.e., disqualification---that would bar admission to the U.S.

Board Certified 2014 Member Avvo
The Dallas, Texas, immigration law firm Mr Jack KIM provides immigration legal services to the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Arlington, Irving, Plano, Garland, Mesquite, McKinney, San Antonio, Houston, Denton, Richardson, Allen, Frisco, Lewisville and Flower Mound, and the counties of Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Kaufman and Henderson, Texas; TX, North Texas, DFW. Because U.S. immigration laws are federal in scope, our immigration attorneys are able to represent individuals and companies in all 50 states of the United States of America.