E-1 Visa

The E-1 visa allows a national of a "treaty country" (country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to come to the U.S. to engage in international trade on his/her own behalf.  Certain employees of such person or organization may be eligible for an E-1 visa as well.


List of Treaty Countries

Please see the following U.S. Department of State's web page: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/treaty.html.


Requirements for E-1

1. In order to qualify for an E-1 visa as a treaty trader, you must:

----- Be a national of a "treaty country" (country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation).

----- Carry on "substantial trade".  Substantial trade generally means continuous flow of sizable international trade items, involving numerous transactions over time.

----- Carry on "principal trade" between the U.S. and the treaty country.  Principal trade exists between the U.S. and the treaty country, if over 50% of the total volume of international trade is between the U.S. and the treaty country.

2. In order to qualify for an E-1 visa as an employee of a treaty trader, you must:

----- Be the same nationality of the treaty trader.  If the principal alien employer is not an individual, it must be an enterprise or organization at least 50% owned by persons in the U.S. who have the nationality of the treaty country.  These owners must be maintaining treaty trader status.

----- Meet the definition of “employee” under the relevant law.

----- Either be engaging in duties of an executive or supervisory character, or if employed in a lesser capacity, have special qualifications. Duties of an executive or supervisory character are those that provide the employee ultimate control and responsibility for the organization’s overall operation or a major component of it.  Special qualifications are skills that make the employee’s services essential to the efficient operation of the business.  Please note that knowledge of a foreign language and culture does not, by itself, constitute special qualifications.  Also note that a skill that is essential at one point may become non-essential at a later date.


How to apply

1. If the treaty trader is currently in the U.S. in a lawful status, s/he can file a Form I-129, Petition for a Non-immigrant Worker, along with proper Supplements and supporting documents, with USCIS, to request a change of status to E-1.  If the employee is currently in the U.S. in a lawful status, the employer can do the same to request a change of the employee's status to E-1.

2. If the treaty trader is outside the U.S., filing of Form I-129 is not necessary; instead, the treaty trader has to apply for an E-1 visa directly to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate with proper supporting documents.

3. Whenever there is any "substantive change" in the terms/conditions of E-1 status, the treaty trader or enterprise must notify USCIS by filing a new Form I-129 (and may simultaneously request an extension of stay for the treaty trader or employee).  A “substantive change” means a fundamental change in the employer’s basic characteristics, such as merger, acquisition, or major event which affects the treaty trader or employee’s previously approved relationship with the organization.


Period of Stay

E-1 treaty traders and employees are allowed a maximum initial stay of 2 years.  Requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to 2 years each, with no maximum limit to the number of extensions.  Because of this, E-1 status (and E-2 status) is considered closest to permanent residence in terms of possible length of stay in the U.S.  Nevertheless, all E-1 status holders must maintain an intention to depart the U.S. when their status expires or is terminated.



Dependents (spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age) of E-1 treaty traders and employees are entitled to E-1 dependent visas/status.  Dependents' nationalities need not be the same as the treaty trader or employee.  Once a spouse of the treaty trader or employee is admitted into the U.S. as an E-1 spouse, s/he can apply for work authorization by filing a Form I-765; if approved, there is no specific restriction as to where the E-1 spouse can work.

Board Certified 2014 Member Avvo
The Dallas, Texas, immigration law firm Mr Jack KIM provides immigration legal services to the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Arlington, Irving, Plano, Garland, Mesquite, McKinney, San Antonio, Houston, Denton, Richardson, Allen, Frisco, Lewisville and Flower Mound, and the counties of Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Kaufman and Henderson, Texas; TX, North Texas, DFW. Because U.S. immigration laws are federal in scope, our immigration attorneys are able to represent individuals and companies in all 50 states of the United States of America.